[Dixielandjazz] FW: Yamaha trombone & more

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sun Jan 10 13:43:47 UTC 2016

Joe Carbery wrote to me about my latest post:
>Reading about the selection of lead pipes makes me concerned that you might
get plumbism!

I suspect he was pulling my leg, but just in case anyone was confused about
my mention of "lead pipes", I was referring to lead as in "lead me there,
please", not to the metal, lead!

The lead (as in read) pipe is a short tube that is inserted in ahead of the
mouthpiece on some models of trombones, so the player can change the airflow
of the horn to his liking.  Much in the way people prefer different
mouthpieces for different ways of playing, and different bores on horns,
laquers, etc.

There IS a marked difference between all of these options, but most find
their niche & stay there.  I think those that are constantly changing
mouthpieces, horns, etc., are most likely frustrated musicians who yet must
find their own best option & then the rest is down to hard, daily work on
the horn!   ;>

As an afternote, "pulling my leg" in Spanish is "pulling my hair".  Go
figure where these sayings come from.
I just learned recently that Spanish cats only have 7 lives.  Better to be a
cat in the U.S. or the U.K!
And, black cats are good luck in Ireland (says my wife!), and a bird
dropping falling on your head is also good luck for the Irish!  That one is
particularly weird.........

Jim