[Dixielandjazz] Frits Kaatee

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 20 20:49:28 UTC 2016

Marek Boym wrote:
> Give credit where credit's due!
> I have just finished listening to Rilly Butterfield with Ted Easton (originally on Riff).
> It's a wonderful record.  But good as it is, the last number - the over 14" "How Come You Do Me Like You Do" - is worth the price of admission! So why Frits Kaatee, who plays throughout? Because on that tune the band is joined by some of the greatest stars playing at the time - Roy Williams (trombone), my all-time favourite tenor saxophonist Bud Freeman and Bob Wilber.  Now, to shine in THAT company is quite an achievement, and that is just what Frits Kaatee does - shines on both alto sax and clarinet.

Dear Marek
This LP?

For Better Blues And Ballads: Billy Butterfield With Ted Easton's Jazz Band:
Riff (Du) 659.013,
Billy Butterfield (tp,flhrn) Henk van Muyen (tb) Roy Williams (tb-1) Frits Kaatee (cl,as,ts) Bud Freeman (ts-1) Bob Wilber (sop-1) Brian Lemon (p-1) Pim Hogervorst (bj) Jacques Kingma (b) Ted Easton (d)
Scheveningen, The Netherlands, June 28, 1975
    Rosetta
    She's funny that way
    Someday you'll be sorry
    Star dust
    Blue Lou
    How come you do me like you do ? (1)

It would seem from the following note in Tom Lord's Jazz Discography that the international visitors over-dubbed their parts at later dates.
Note: (1) Recorded April 8, 1976 (Roy Williams, Bob Wilber, Bud Freeman, Brian Lemon) & November 9, 1975 (Williams, Wilber, Lemon).

However, I am getting into my friend Gerard Bielderman's territory.
Perhaps he can explain what it is all about.
Looking through the Easton discography, it seems that he (Easton) did this  occasionally, including a session on 17 Juy 1976 when Cootie Williams dubbed in his part and Mr Katee over-dubbed his clarinet part on "Creole Love Call" using two fictitious names.
Kind regards,
Bill.