[Dixielandjazz] Frits Kaatee

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 17:38:16 UTC 2016

Give credit where credit's due!
I have just finished listening to Rilly Butterfield with Ted Easton
(originally on Riff).
It's a wonderful record.  But good as it is, the last number - the over 14"
"How Come You Do Me Like You Do" - is worth the price of admission!
So why Frits Kaatee, who plays throughout?
Because on that tune the band is joined by some of the greatest stars
playing at the time - Roy Williams (trombone), my all-time favourite tenor
saxophonist Bud Freeman and Bob Wilber.  Now, to shine in THAT company is
quite an achievement, and that is just what Frits Kaatee does - shines on
both alto sax and clarinet.  If that is not a great achievement, I don't
know what is!
He went trough the best school, though - the Dutch Swing College band.
Cheers