[Dixielandjazz] Guitar great Mundell Lowe is still spry at 93. | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Thu Nov 19 17:22:23 PST 2015

To:  Musicians and Jazzfans;  DJML

From: Norman Vickers, Jazz Society of Pensacola

From: mikelynch1 at bellsouth.net [mailto:mikelynch1 at bellsouth.net]
Subject: Guitar great Mundell Lowe is still spry at 93. |
SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/nov/19/mundell-lowe-guitar-gre
at-for-the-ages/

Thanks to Mike Lynch for forwarding this link about jazz guitarist Mundell
Lowe.  Mundell is one of my jazz heroes.

Permit me a little anecdote and personal reference.  We're both from
Mississippi and grew up about 25 miles apart.  He's nine years older than I,
so we never crossed paths at that time.  First time I saw/met him was when
he was guest artist with  a Mobile jazz organization. ( That group has
undergone several iterations)

We had him for a Jazz Society of Pensacola event with duo guitars-Mundell
Lowe and Lloyd Ellis in mid-90s as I recall.  Tim  Jackson played bass that
night.  Outstanding performance.  Mundell would come back to our area to
visit his relatives in S. Alabama and South Mississippi from time to time.
Mundell has always been gracious to me.  Occasionally I'd have some burning
jazz question and phone him-he was always patient and gave good information
and advice.

As an  aside, I note that SD drummer Jim Plank is performing with him. Plank
came to Pensacola for a Jazz Society event  with Brazilian/American
guitarist Laurindo Almeida in the '90s.

                                                                --End--