[Dixielandjazz] Visiting musicians

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Sat Nov 14 02:57:39 PST 2015

I was surprised to see threads shredding off from my announcement of Allen
Toussaint's untimely death here in Madrid.  I was particularly interested in
Charlie Suhor's comments on NO "grey haired" musicians.  A lot of the
"older" musicians end up playing throughout Europe at the music festivals
and are greatly applauded.

I went to see a guitarist/blues singer from Chicago in a small club in
Madrid a few years ago.  Can't now recall his name.  He looked very old, and
his much younger bassist (musician picked up in France for his European
tour) helped him up on his stool.  Then, during his gig he was handed his
glass of water, his towel, etc.  That is...he was attended to as a famous
old man.  He may well be famous in the Blues circles, but I had never heard
of him.  Having said that, he was excellent, and put on a great show!

I later found out that this "old man" was 5 years younger than myself, and
no one ever gets me a stool or a glass of water!!  But, then, that is the
aura given to those "visiting" Europe as an invited guest.

Jim