[Dixielandjazz] patronising Storyville

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 00:53:13 PST 2015

> WHICH OLD ????Weren't there those old.....  ????NOPE!
> How many dozen people could play like Louis Armstrong?
> Only ONE dozen????

Probably much fewer.

> I did overhear someone marvelling at report of Benny Waters' enormously
> long career (it was about ten years, actually, before he played his final
> gig, when I heard this)..   "Did he really play AT STORYVILLE????"
> ALAS this was not a reference to the club in Benny's native Boston where
> Bechet and Bunk had a gig.NO, Benny had left, years before Storyville
> opened.

If a Swiss(!) record company can issue an album "Les 4  Grands du New
Orleans" featuring Benny Waters, Bill Coleman and Mezz Mezzrow (and one
Orleanian - Albert Nicholas), why shouldn't people think Waters was not
from New Orleans (and not old enough to have played in the district anyway).
Cheers