[Dixielandjazz] patronising Storyville

domitype . domitype at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 00:36:32 PST 2015

Well,
that was an interesting Tone Poem on the state of New Orleans Jazz history,
but what is the reality?

The Yuppies moving in to NOLA complain about the "noise" from bands playing
in the streets or clubs, the city council is non-committal about it, yet
the city would fail without Jazz.

Groups of outstanding skilled young musicians in bands like Tuba Skinny
struggle to exist on street tips and  random performances in Frenchmen
Street skeezy bars,

Local universities offer degrees in New Orleans Jazz History with classes
like "MUSC 2300 Intro to Computer Application in Music"

So where is this going? I sure don't know. NOLA music is an industry that
is vital to the city, but the city seems to be doing all it can do to
destroy the future of real jazz.

Festivals happen, bands are hired, audiences happen (or not) and local food
is eaten - I think this is probably good for the working musicians, if they
can get into the gig. Locals, tourists, die hard fans, clueless newbies get
to hear all sorts of music and draw from the history and energy of what is
happening now

Sorry if too rambly! It is a deep problem that cannot be easily answered.

Dave Richoux