[Dixielandjazz] patronising Storyville

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 13 23:43:41 PST 2015

The subject line could be a reference to being a client of the ladies...

I had more in mind what happened a long time ago, it could even have been 1976, when "jazz" was included in some supposedly grand American celebration. The commentator mentioned the name "Louis Armstrong"  ---
but what we got was a very below average white Dixieland performance
utterly purged of originality
of no musical interest whatsoever
a colourless cliche

I should imagine there might have been dozens of British let alone European bands which could have looked the same, and a lot of those would have been simply incapable of the banal anodyne

I am with Charles!  I've had some of the tourist recordings for review and slammed them.
Here is the Preservation Hall Band with .......  aaaaaaaaaaaargh!  "SING ON"
Which from overmuch repetition became "poor old soul music"

Tolerance of cliches turns people into machines.
Ah, yes, that would be one of those old .....  ????
WHICH OLD ????Weren't there those old.....  ????NOPE!
How many dozen people could play like Louis Armstrong?
Only ONE dozen????

I did overhear someone marvelling at report of Benny Waters' enormously long career (it was about ten years, actually, before he played his final gig, when I heard this)..   "Did he really play AT STORYVILLE????"
ALAS this was not a reference to the club in Benny's native Boston where Bechet and Bunk had a gig.NO, Benny had left, years before Storyville opened.And then we have Thomas Jefferson
not to mention "Oh, Red!" a washboard player who also had a trombonist namesake --yep, George Washington

any more of this folks will think I've a Burr under my saddle
Robert Calder