[Dixielandjazz] James Reese Europe - The Army Blues

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Nov 2 13:28:33 PST 2015

Fuzzy wrote [in part]:
> I've recently re-read Noble Lee Sissle's "Memoirs of 'Jim' Europe". In this wonderful document, Mr. Sissle refers to a song entitled "The Army Blues" several times, and frequently lends the reader to believe it was a favorite of both the band, and the crowd...
> Does anyone know whether this tune performed by the Hellfighters was ever put to paper or recorded?

Dear Fuzzy, Dave and Snogpitch,
Although I have not been able to make a direct connection to Lt. Jim Europe's Hell Fighters Band, I suspect "I've Got The Army Blues" (found by Dave Richoux) is probably the song you are looking for, as it ticks all the boxes.

•It was composed by L Wolfe Gilbert and Carey Morgan (of U.S), copyrighted on August 3, 1916 and published by Jos. W. Stern in July 1916.

•The sheet music cover illustration shows two stylised US soldiers and can be found at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWI-WORLD-WAR-I-Sheet-Music-1916-Ive-Got-The-Army-Blues-/200959280484

•It was recorded for Columbia A-5951 by Prince´s Band on January 31, 1917, and for Emerson 2759 by singer Morton Harvey.

•At this time the US hawks were considering entering the war with Germany following U-Boat attacks on American shipping and entered the War on April 6, 1917.

•The song is certainly US oriented as indicated by the following line from the lyrics: "I heard a bugle and Yankee Doodle played by a Regimental band..."

I have not yet found an mp3 of the Prince's Band or Morton Harvey recordings but the sheet music can be downloaded from:
   http://digital.library.msstate.edu/cdm/ref/collection/SheetMusic/id/31196

Very kind regards,
Bill.