[Dixielandjazz] Condon/Freeman CDs-a query

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu May 21 12:00:38 PDT 2015

The musicians, style, and time frame of the sessions are among my favorites in jazz history. I wonder if there are any listmates who don't like this Chicago/Dixieland style. What is it in the music that's off-putting? Why do so many bands today not emulate the free-wheeling, energetic ensembles and distinctive solos (by those noted in Steve's posting below). Why do they prefer the banjo-and-tuba rhythm to what strikes me as the more spacious, interactive and inventive backup of players like Stacy, Schroeder, Lesberg, Wettling, Drootin, etc.? I'm just askin'....

Charlie