[Dixielandjazz] Eddie Condon and Bud Freeman reviewed - Wall Street Journal, May 20, 2015

Steve Voce stevevoce at virginmedia.com
Thu May 21 09:39:07 PDT 2015

I've just reviewed this wonderful box for Jazz Journal. I've been
playing it over and over for several days. The original material is all
familiar to me - I've had it for many years - but here the sound is
impeccable and all the alternative takes, new to me, have different
solos from the originals, so they're particularly valuable -Teagarden's
alternative solos, for instance, are refreshing. He wasn't set in his
solos in those days. And those pianists! A horde of the world's best!
Hackett, Bud, McGarity, Brad Gowans, Pee Wee..... Magnificent.
I gave the set the maximum five stars.

Steve Voce

On 21/05/2015 16:07, Robert Ringwald wrote:
> Review of ‘Eddie Condon and Bud Freeman: Complete Commodore and Decca Sessions’
>

> by Marc Myers
>
> Wall Street Journal, May 20, 2015
>

> Jazz guitarist Eddie Condon and saxophonist Bud Freeman have been all but forgotten today, victims of jazz’s shifting sands and evolving generational tastes. But in the years just before World War II and up through the early 1970s -- when many jazz fans clung to the syncopated style of an earlier era -- Condon and Freeman were masters of a hot, bouncy form forged in Chicago in the late 1920s.

---