[Dixielandjazz] Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 16:26:34 PST 2015

As previously mentioned, last Thursday I went again to hear Silvan Zingg,
this time with several friends.  The playing was wonderful like on the
preceding Tuesday, as was the dancing.  But there was a bit too much
"entertainment" and too little music (about 45 minutes of playing out of a
concert of almost an hour ad a half).  It was fun if one understood English
(although the pianist, as a joke, addressed the audience in his native
Italian, and then in the other two major Swiss languages - German and
French), but imagine the people whoe English is not that good!
It seemed that Mr. Zingg wanted to complete his "Sentimental Journey" fast
- I've never heard such fast version of that song (with the exception of
the previous concert).  since it was the Purim holiday (the Jewish
equivalent of a carnival), for the penultimate number the musicians came on
stage with funny head gear; Mr. Zingg, for example, wore a Viking horned
helmet (in fact, the Vikings themselves did not wear such helmets - they
were invented in Hollywood) and a t-shirt with his image in the helmet and
reading Silvan Zingg - Purim 2015, and played a Purim song which evolved
into boogie woogie.
Anyway, it was great fun!
On Saturday I'm planning to hear Eli (Preminger) and the Chocolate Factory
with guest Merton Cahm at the Kaymak in Tel-Aviv.
Time for bed - it's already 2:30AM!
Cheers