[Dixielandjazz] Bechet-Spanier

ROBERT R. CALDER serapion at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 15 16:39:21 PDT 2015

One of the first two jazz LPs I bought was labelled Bechet-Spanier but was actually filled out with tracks by a Rex Stewart band also from HRS. This was one of the first ultra bargain price LPs in the UK, and cost I think one old penny less than the amount (ten shillings) now called fifty pence.

I also have a CD of the same music on a CD labelled Lionel Hampton etc., if anybody's really into the final details of non-compact discography including the mislabelling.
The paperwork in the box said it was Lionel Hampton and that the other CD was Bechet-Spanier.
The other one is, too.Anyway the music is wonderful, with wonderful Wellman Braud on bass, and Carmen Mastren with a lesser role on guitar. So good to be reminded of this!Given Marek's consuming interest I might mention that his mail arrived here on what was officially British Beer Day.(Pray do not recoil from this warm reference, revered antipodean Haesler -- ice cold in Oz),
all the very best,
Robert R. Calder