[Dixielandjazz] Bama Mine

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 15 14:36:31 PDT 2015

ken wrote:
> I'm looking for a leadsheet and lyrics to Merline Johnson's Bama Mine (I got a man in the bama mine).  We have a new (and young) aspiring blues singer in our band.

Dear Ken,
The correct title is "Got A Man In The 'Bama Mine" by The Yas Yas Girl [Merline Johnson] and was
recorded  for ARC on 30 July 1937 with Horace Malcolm (piano) Big Bill Broonzy (guitar) and Fred Williams (drums).
Refer:
< https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4FZa0I_PKk >
It was also recorded for Bluebird in October 1937 by Sweet Peas [Addie Spivey] as "I Got A Man In The 'Bama Mines" - and is in Tuba Skinny's repertoire.
The lyrics are sung to one of the basic blues patterns, which I sure could be identified by one of our musician listmates.
Very kind regards,
Bill.