[Dixielandjazz] Husk O'Hare's Super Orchestra of Chicago

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 02:27:50 PST 2015

On 29 January 2015 at 01:41, Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Marek Boym wrote:
> > Whenever I listen to the three issued numbers from the band's March
> 9-10, 1918 session I have the feeling that "San" was recorded by a different
> > lineup than the other two numbers, despite the proximity of their matrix
> numbers.  Any comments?
>
> Dear Marek
> You knew I would attempt to answer this one, didn't you?
> Incidentally, the recording year is 1922.

I must have copied the year from the previous session - it is listed as
1922.

> Apart from a slightly different recording balance on "Boo Hoo Hoo",
> recorded the day before "Tiger Rag" and "San", I hear the same individual
> band/musicians.
> Particularly, the clarinet player (believed to be Norman Jacgues who died
> shortly after the session).

Still sounds different to me.  The clarinet player may be the same, but
does it prove it's the same line-up?

> > Why should they, together with numbers by Al Siegel's Orchestra or Brad
> Gowan's Rhapsody Makers be included on an album titled "New Orleans Boys"
> is another matter altogether (th other two bands on that compilation are
> Original New Orleans Jazz Band and Oliver Naylor's Seven Aces).
>
> I assume that your LP is either the Riverside 8818 (or equivalent).
> Perhaps the Golden Age reissue.

It's an Italian issue, jaz 4015, claiming to have been "recorded by
Impact."  The label is something in stylized letters I cannot really
decipher, "perhaps Fonit Cetra.

> http://www.discogs.com/Various-New-Orleans-Boys-1918-1927/release/4416015
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPORT-FRANCE-JAZZ-2-LP-LOT-NEW-ORLEANS-BOYS-HONKY-TONK-TRAIN-Pierre-Cardin-/161250811238
>
> Husk O'Hare was a band and recording manager who had a working
> relationship with Gennett, also the NORK and the Wolverines and, apart from
> the two Al Siegel tunes, the band sides on the LP were all recorded for
> Gennett.

I know about Husk O'Hare.

> When Riverside put that LP package together, the music was described by
> some as 'New Orleans-Dixieland'.

A sensible designation, unlike "New Orleans Boys" for a record most people
whereon are not.
Cheers