[Dixielandjazz] Husk O'Hare's Super Orchestra of Chicago

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jan 28 15:41:44 PST 2015

Marek Boym wrote:
> Whenever I listen to the three issued numbers from the band's March 9-10, 1918 session I have the feeling that "San" was recorded by a different
> lineup than the other two numbers, despite the proximity of their matrix numbers.  Any comments?

Dear Marek
You knew I would attempt to answer this one, didn't you?
Incidentally, the recording year is 1922.
Apart from a slightly different recording balance on "Boo Hoo Hoo", recorded the day before "Tiger Rag" and "San", I hear the same individual band/musicians.
Particularly, the clarinet player (believed to be Norman Jacgues who died shortly after the session).

> Why should they, together with numbers by Al Siegel's Orchestra or Brad Gowan's Rhapsody Makers be included on an album titled "New Orleans Boys" is another matter altogether (th other two bands on that compilation are Original New Orleans Jazz Band and Oliver Naylor's Seven Aces).

I assume that your LP is either the Riverside 8818 (or equivalent).
Perhaps the Golden Age reissue.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-New-Orleans-Boys-1918-1927/release/4416015
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMPORT-FRANCE-JAZZ-2-LP-LOT-NEW-ORLEANS-BOYS-HONKY-TONK-TRAIN-Pierre-Cardin-/161250811238

Husk O'Hare was a band and recording manager who had a working relationship with Gennett, also the NORK and the Wolverines and, apart from the two Al Siegel tunes, the band sides on the LP were all recorded for Gennett.
When Riverside put that LP package together, the music was described by some as 'New Orleans-Dixieland'.
Very kind regards,
Bill.