[Dixielandjazz] Early Rex Stewart links?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Jan 18 10:35:58 PST 2015

Does anyone have a youtube or other link to Rex Stewart recordings before 1930? The impressive Jabbo Smith materials were from 1928 or 1929, and his conception, range, and improvisation skills were among the best IMO when the pre-jazz and early jazz styles were transitioning to a looser, more fluid, swing-like expression. (That's not intended as a value judgment but a rough historical description.) Many players made notable transitions during the 30s or later. The early gold standard, to me, is strongly represented by players such as Louis, Bix, Hines--and Jabbo. I'd like to hear some pre-30s Stewart to see how he fits into my schema.

Charlie