[Dixielandjazz] Early Rex Stewart links?

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 18 20:00:24 PST 2015

Hello Charlie,
According to Walter Allen's Hendersonia, Rex Stewart joined Fletcher Henderson around May 1926. (aged 19)His first record with the band (including solo work) was The Stampede : http://youtu.be/GYhGOGF0FlE
Rex was hired, one important reason being that he was totally idolizing Louis Armstrong, and could have some of the impact Louis had given.
Next recording date where he solos : October 1926 : http://youtu.be/uPML42GaPYs Off The Buffalo, two other tracks from this date also have Stewart solos.
Stewart was very nervous at his young age, and teased a lot by the "veterans" link Hawkins.
So he was replaced by Tommy Ladnier in november 1926.
He rejoined on a recording session April 6.  1928, but at that time probably as lead, since Bobby Stark does all trumpet solos. (Dixie Stompers date)
Then there is a Henderson Happy Six date of november 1928 where Rex solos, but I could not find it on youtube. (Hawkins is on bass sax here, but nowhere near Adrian Rollini's grace)
Same story for December 12. 1928. Come On Baby, where he shares solos with Bobby Stark.
Then check Freeze and Melt, & Raisin' the Roof, april 1929 (not on youtube I'm afraid)
We allready enter 1930 then, since Henderson didn't record much at the start of the great depression
Oktober 1930 Rex solos in Chinatown my Chinatown : http://youtu.be/9ai0JRR7fsY
But that's allready out of your question.
Kind regards,
Bert Brandsma