[Dixielandjazz] Chord simplification question

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Fri Jan 16 13:53:49 PST 2015

I'd take this a step further with this little trick I learned watching
Lenny Breau: because you are in an ensemble, there is no need for the
guitar/banjo to play full chords, that's not their job.  The bass will
take the bass, the soloist will go for all the altered tones and the
fifth is redundant.

All you need to hit are the 3rd, to set the major vs minor, and the
7th, to set the dominant vs maj7 quality!  Everything else is
superfluous.  Sure enough, even when the rhythm player stays entirely
within the 3/7 constraint, the arrangement sounds alright (they are,
after all, called the 'rhythm' section)

I'd used this trick for years before I saw a masterclass with Joe Pass
who said that he never thought in terms of altered chords, but always
and only in terms of I-maj, ii-min and V7, the very skeletal
*functions* of the chord, and then, said Joe, since he had fingers
left over, he'd just use them where they seemed to fit.

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*