[Dixielandjazz] Chord simplification question

Andrew Homzy andrew.homzy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 22:40:46 PST 2015

As a composer, arranger, pianist, bassist, tubaist,

It is clear to me: The bass plays the fundamentals and the other instruments play the extensions.

Inversions are rarely used in jazz -

That said, going beyond basic function, the bass line can also have an over-arching melodic shape. Paul Chambers was great at this - so was Bach, Beethoven & Brahms.

In my arrangements, I always write bass lines when the full ensemble plays. Who better than me knows what bass notes and shape of line needs to be played?

Cheers,

Andrew Homzy
180 Pirates Lane
Nanaimo, BC