[Dixielandjazz] Chord simplification question

Daryl Hosick darylhosick at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 16 14:08:59 PST 2015

Hi Ken
Really depends on the exact technical situation -- but we are playing jazz -- I think if it sounds good to you it is fine.  And I believe that many times lead sheets are slightly in error anyway and you really may want an Edim, not a Cb9.
Many times the b9 will be in the melody line -- i.e. the lead instrument is playing the Db so the rhythm instruments can play a C7 without the b9.
Another way is to use a "slash chord" symbol.  Some may object to this but it works.  Slash chord notation can be used to indicate a suggested base line -- in this case write Edim/C -- indicating that the rhythm instruments play an Edim chord while the base plays a C.   Slash chords are commonly used to indicate a chord inversion --i.e. indicate which note should be played at the "bottom" of the chord but it works great to indicate the base note -- which is the really same thing. .
Daryl