[Dixielandjazz] Doris Day (!)--pop/jazz continuum

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Feb 16 11:39:06 PST 2015

I always felt that Doris Day was a "non-jazz" singer with impeccable taste and superior musicianship. She was one of those pop singers, like Rosemary Clooney and Frankie Laine, whose best works were somewhere on a continuum that tilts toward jazz. I'm thinking of DD on "Put 'em in a Box?" and "Secret Love"; the Clooney LP with Goodman? Laine on "Rosetta" and "Music, Maestro, Please."

Can you-all think of other pop singers who did strong jazz(-like) performances? I take Tony Bennett, Sinatra, Connick, and Michael Buble as automatic. The categories sometimes melt, or meld.

Charlie