[Dixielandjazz] Seeking advice-- computer soft ware for converting LPs to CD

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sat Feb 14 14:33:18 PST 2015

I'm with Gerard in using Cool Edit Pro--but it didn't disappear;
rather, it was purchased by Software Monster and renamed
Audition.  But I see that now it's "cloudware" for which you pay $20
a month to use.  I could never sign on to something like.  Earlier
versions (installed locally) can be found on amazon.com and probably eBay.

Conceding that I'm both old school and a perfectionist, I would be
wary of any software that claims it can do it all in one push of a
button.  There are lots of different kinds of noise to be found on
LPs--you must listen and take action as appropriate.  Which includes
dividing up tracks.  Software that automates this task does so by
looking for the quiet lands between tracks, but if there's noise in
that supposedly quiet area, the program will mistake it for program
content and ignore it.

Bottom line: There's no free lunch.

--
      Dick Baker