[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Davern - a bit of history?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Mon Dec 7 15:25:36 PST 2015

tonypringle wrote:
> Way back in 1970s my friend Brian Williams who played clarinet up in Toronto came to visit with the intent of going to possibly buy another Albert System Clarinet. We drove to the western part of Massachusetts to visit Frank Laidlaw and Brian did try some Albert System Clarinets, but didn't find anything he liked. Frank also played clarinet and we had a little blow together - 2 clarinets and me on cornet. Then Frank said he had something he'd like us to listen to and went away and then came back with an LP. He put it on the turntable to play and asked us who we thought was in the band. To me the clarinet sounded like George Lewis and the Cornet or trumpet was similar to Kid Shots Madison. With a grin Frank informed us it was Kenny Davern on clarinet and he himself was the cornet player.

Dear Tony,
I have a vague memory-tinkle that Kenny Davern gave George Lewis a clarinet.
So went a-googling, typed in <Jazz, Kenny Davern and George Lewis> and came up with page 34 from the Davern's book, 'Just Four Bars' (which I do not have).
Here is the link, which may open:
   https://books.google.com.au/books?isbn=0810876930
And refers to the story behind the following LP, presumably the one you mention.

Elektra EK201-X,
In The Gloryland: Kenny Davern And His Salty Dogs.
Frank Laidlaw (c) Steve Knight (tb) Kenny Davern (cl) Carl Lunsford (bj) Arnold Hyman (b) Bob Thompson (d)
New York, June, 1958
    Tiger rag
    The streets of the city
    In the gloryland
    Shake it and break it
    Just a closer walk with thee
    Willie the weeper
    Precious Lord
    The old rugged cross

But no youtube or mp3s from it that I could find.
Kind regards,
Bill.