[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Davern - a bit of history?

tonypringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Mon Dec 7 04:41:13 PST 2015

Hi,

This bit of information is not really in line with the current string
about Kenny and WBD, but may be of interest to some.

Way back in 1970s my friend Brian Williams who played clarinet up in
Toronto came to visit with the intent of going to possibly buy another
Albert System Clarinet. We drove to the western part of Massachusetts to
visit Frank Laidlaw and Brian did try some Albert System Clarinets, but
didn't find anything he liked. Frank also played clarinet and we had a
little blow together - 2 clarinets and me on cornet. Then Frank said he
had something he'd like us to listen to and went away and then came back
with an LP. He put it on the turntable to play and asked us who we
thought was in the band. To me the clarinet sounded like George Lewis
and the Cornet or trumpet was similar to Kid Shots Madison. With a grin
Frank informed us it was Kenny Davern on clarinet and he himself was the
cornet player. It turned out that Frank had suffered a mouth injury and
turned to playing clarinet. To me hearing Kenny sound like George was a
shock.

It was no surprise to me when some years later the Black Eagles played a
festival in Toronto and we used Brian on clarinet. For one of our sets
we had a special guest - Kenny Davern -  and he fitted in as if he had
played with us for ever.

Cheers, Tony Pringle