[Dixielandjazz] Bach and OKOM?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Aug 20 18:47:20 PDT 2015

> On Aug 20, 2015, at 4:40 PM, Gmail_01 <shoring.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've often thought that J. S. Bach would have been a great jazz improvisers and would love trad jazz if he was alive now.

Agree. My guess is that he’d also love good modern jazz. Modern soloists have often said that they appreciate the long, flowing lines of Bach’s violin and cello solos.

> Long before I was even exposed to trad jazz, I was into Bach.  I studied piano before studying on a pipe organ and got to play some of the simpler Bach Preludes & Fugues.  Bad eyesight caused me to quit.  But I am a listener to many types of music and am grateful to have been exposed to trad jazz in my 20's.  I've often wondered what Bach's "Jig" Fugue would sound like played by a jazz band.  Thinking it would be fun..

Different paths to a similar destination. I grew up with trad jazz and was exposed to Bach in my college years. I clearly recall listening to public radio while driving home from Loyola on Magazine St, when I heard a piano piece so dazzling that I had to pull tho the curb, breathless, to take it in. It was Glenn Gould playing the Goldberg Variations. Still a thrill to hear, about 60 years later,

Charlie