[Dixielandjazz] Clifford Brown's artistry

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 02:33:59 PDT 2015

So I did that!  I  hope that I never have to do it again. How anyone can
take a lovely, lyrical tune like `I can`t get started` and convert into that
horrible mish mash of dissonance is beyond me. I can see that it is very
clever to be able to do it and other trumpeters may admire the technique but
if the end result is such an assault on the ears why should anyone want to.
That was music? The tune, which after all is the basis of the performance,
was unrecognisable and more or less obliterated by the cascade of `aren`t I
clever just see what I can do` notes.
The trouble is that that noise appears on CD`s labelled `Jazz`, a newbie
buys it, is horrified, and believing that it is jazz never buys anything
labelled `jazz` again. No wonder there is a diminishing audience.
Arghh!
Pat