[Dixielandjazz] Is it a Turk or Watters album?

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Apr 14 14:08:45 PDT 2015

Young(ish) Jim Kashishian wrote [in part]:
> There has been a misunderstanding of albums between myself & my good friend Bill.
> I was speaking of the album entitled "The Music of Jelly Roll Morton played by Turk Murphy & Wally Rose", Columbia CL559.  The bright red, white
> & black (lettering) cover shows a picture of Wally sitting at the piano & Turk alongside holding a music chart. Both are quite young in the picture. Jelly Roll is nowhere to be seen.

Dear Jim,
So was I.
Fortunately, thanks to Columbia, we are both right.
<big grin>
The cover of my US copy of "The Music of Jelly Roll Morton played by Turk Murphy & Wally Rose" Columbia JCL559 has a head and shoulders pic of JRM.
(Sent off list.)
What I should have noticed, in my approaching senility, is that on the back of my LP is a note that says: "The above notes were reprinted from the original jacket."
It is a later 'Collector's Series' edition.

> I hope that clears it all up, and proves that I am still quite young & healthy in both mind & body!  I'll be only 74 in a few days.

My apology for appearing to "paint you as being senile!"
Very kind regards,
Bill (who will be 84 in a few days).