[Dixielandjazz] What I've noticed at Festivals

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Wed Oct 29 17:33:59 PDT 2014

Two of my favorite Big Bands are Duke Ellington and Woody Herman. I've attended many concerts featuring these bands and many of their recordings are in my collection. Almost every opportunity I've had to see these bands in a concert or dance setting has been a joy for me. The reason is simply that they managed to dress their old classics in new clothes with new arrangements and new solos (even from the same players) as well as adding new repertoire.

They recognized that there is only so far that they could continue to perform some of their classics and, yes, there are many listeners who insist on hearing these classics in the same arrangements. To serve that part of their audiences, Duke and Woody have assembled these classics in a medley format, playing enough of a tune to satisfy those who want to hear them and in the same style as earlier.

In this fashion, they continued to please all the musical needs of their paying audiences.

Some of today's bands large and small should take this hint to keep their music alive and their audiences coming.

Stan
Stan Brager