[Dixielandjazz] What I've noticed at Festivals

Paul Kurtz Jr kurtzph at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 20:17:13 PDT 2014

I think Mr. Sharp put the onus right on us where it should be. I’ve mentioned on this list, the trumpet list, or all of the above that I improvise on the songs we play at church no matter how often we repeat the same stuff. I try and make it different every single time. I do the same in my 6-piece combo, too, because I owe it to the audience, be it 2 people or 2,000. Does the 2 people vs. the 2,000 become discouraging at times? Certainly. But, my domain is the music. I’m admittedly not a great music business man as is, say Bob Ringwald as an example. But, what I do know is that I can play, put things of interest in that can stimulate an audience, and not get tired of it as I get older. (I even did that for Happy Birthday at a senior care facility this last Saturday.) We don’t want to lose the very true reason and optimism we started playing music for.

Mr. Sharp, you took a great risk of abuse writing what you have because you pointed at all of us including me, without varnish or excuse. A lot of my music is orchestrated, but even within that, I’ll have to make more of a difference in dynamics and nuances based on your comments. And I’ll CERTAINLY put in a few toots on the improv for you. Again, thank you.

Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL