[Dixielandjazz] "1919" -- solved!

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Oct 22 07:46:41 PDT 2014

Dick Baker wrote:

> We've been looking for the source of 1919 (aka 1919 Rag,
> 1919 March) for decades. ...
>
> Marty Eggers, pianist/bassist from Oakland found the answer:
> It's "Rough Riders," written by H. A. Fischler in 1914.  You can
> see it at
>
>          http://www.bandmusicpdf.org/bmpdf/R/RoughRiders.pdf

"1919" deviates further from "Rough Riders" than, for example, "Bugle Boy
March" deviates from its source, "American Soldier March" (1907) by Francis
A. Myers. But "1919" is obviously derived from "Rough Riders."

As an aside, I also found the original wind band parts to "American Soldier
March" on the Band Music PDF website. I've re-scored it for Brass Band, and
The Pacific Brass Band will be performing it on our concert at Dixieland
Monterey's "Jazz Bash By The Bay" next March. The festival takes place
Friday - Sunday, March 6 - 8, 2015, at the Portola Plaza Hotel & Conference
Center in Monterey, CA. If you're there, our concert will be at 4:30 PM on
Saturday, March 7, in the "Steinbeck Forum" venue.

The Pacific Brass musicians really like "American Soldier March," so I've
now downloaded the parts to "Rough Riders" and will also re-score that piece
for Brass Band, for future concerts....

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers
Tuba, Ted Shafer's Jelly Roll Jazz Band
Associate Conductor / Staff Arranger / Eb Bass, The Pacific Brass Band
Principal Tuba, South Valley Symphony Orchestra