[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards & more

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 03:32:44 PDT 2014

Hi again.  One of the spin off problems is that the people who design record
labels have very little idea what `jazz` is and all this `free jazz``avante
garde` etc gets put on the market labelled as `Jazz`. The buying public
often are misled and the next thing we hear is `I don`t like jazz`. i have a
friend who expresses surprise every time I say I like Jazz and says `What!
that awful row` and goes off into a frantic ,   simulated Dizzy solo. He
knows no better. He thinks that is jazz. I don`t  and would not walk up the
street to hear it. But can I persuade him to come to my local jazz club.Not
a hope. He is convinced that the terrible squeaky  full speed technically
accomplished trumpet noise is `jazz` because he has seen it so described .
If I see a record label stating `New Jazz or Modern Jazz I know enough to
avoid it. Someone seeking enlightenment sees the word `jazz` and think that
what they hear is `Jazz.
What we really really need to describe that sort of music is something which
does not involve the word `jazz` at all.  Pat`