[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards & more

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Wed Oct 15 05:46:45 PDT 2014

some years ago I was at a club in Toronto where there were more people
on stage than in the audience, and it was a duo on stage. They were
very good and quite famous in their jug-band genres (Mose Scarlet and
Ken Whiteley) and they put on a great show for myself and the club
staff, but afterward the inevitable discussion, "Where was the *rest*
of the audience?" There wasn't even a cover charge.  Everyone had a
theory: popular show on tv, a sports event broadcast, exams, whatever.
We sat around and chatted for a while and I left to go catch my bus a
block away.

Along my way, as I approached the bus stop, there were young people
(college age) milling about on the sidewalk in one spot; as I got
closer I could see the crowd density increasing going down the nearby
stairs, and when I got close enough I could hear the music -- it was
an "acid jazz" trio, bass, drums and tenor, wailing a blistering
funk-rhythm free jazz ... and the club itself was packed so tight I
had to wiggle my way in to get close enough to see the band, and the
crowd was packed right up to the 'stage' which was nothing more than a
spot on the dancefloor.  The kids were dancing, you couldn't get near
the bar.

It reminded me of the photos I'd seen of the UK jazz clubs circa 1955.

so to answer all of Pat's questions, the answer is apparently a very
emphatic "yes"

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*