[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards & more

Patrick Ladd patrickjladd at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 15 04:16:55 PDT 2014

Surely this is part o the problem with avant garde stuff in all its
variations. Does it in fact engage the audience, who we are paid to
entertain, in the same way as our `jazz standards`?. Does a head nod in time
to the music?. Does a foot tap?. Does the audience feel impelled (heaven
forfend) to get up and dance?
If some musicians want to play `modern jazz` ( a very loose grouping) it
seems to me that it is only really interesting to someone with a fairly
advanced musical knowledge/appreciation. In fact those who get most out of
it are the players. Thats fine, Why should we not entertain ourselves, but
is it really entertaining to the general audience.  No wonder we used to go
out and beat up `dirty boppers` with their silly berets and  their little
mustaches. (We didn`t really but it makes a good story)

Pat