[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards & more

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Oct 15 09:49:34 PDT 2014

There are apples and elephants in Jim's comparison, I think. Yes, when we play in most pre-avanat garde jazz styles, there's interaction with the audience on site, just as when they're there for a free form performance. But recordings of the form-based jazz can still carry wide appeal because of their accessibilty. (If it's badly played, of course, that won't apply.) My point was that in free/avant garde jazz or free from sessions like the ones I used to play at with Jeff McLeod, the excitement is "strictly" in the moment of creation, seeing it as it happens, and a recording isn't usually a very rewarding listening experience. You had to be there for a caught-in-the-act sense, for the ambience and the aromatics and the unfolding of it. At least, that's my sense of it.

I still listen to my jazz records that have form-based improvisation, but few recordings of experimental meanderings hold my attention. But again, hearing musicians live as they stretch out to improvisational badlands can be fun.

Charlie