[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Standards, why not?

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Oct 15 01:59:41 PDT 2014

(Please excuse this email which could be construed as "preaching", but is
not really intended as that!)   :>

The original subject asked as to why some songs become standards within our
kind of music.  I find it interesting that some musicians don't like to play
certain songs just because they are "so standard", or always requested by
the audience.

We finished our gig last night with The Saints (voluntarily!), and someone
from the audience came up & thanked me for playing it saying "you know some
bands in New Orleans actually charge to play that song".  My feelings, the
audience already paid about $18 per person just to get in the door, then
paid for their drinks or food.  I get paid decently, and I'm there to
entertain!  If The Saints does that, then I'll play it.

Same goes for Tiger Rag, Hello Dolly, What A Wonderful World, etc.  It's up
to the musician to make the song fresh & exciting.

There you have it.  I'm quite happy to play all those tunes, and the reward
is to see smiles on people's faces.  That's what music is all about.

Note:  before the Saints, our trumpeter sang Amapola (in Spanish, of
course).

Jim