[Dixielandjazz] Aker Bilk R.I.P.

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Mon Nov 3 12:43:07 PST 2014

Pat Ladd wrote regarding Aker Bilk:

His interview was hilarious. His thick Somerset accent and his sense of humour came through clearly. The interview  closed with the expected
`Will you play something for us`. Acker picked up his clarinet, turned to the band
and said `Blow, you buggers` and played the show out.
(snip)

I remember a TV telethon back in the late 50s. A local band was playing on it about 3:00 AM. They had finished a gig somewhere and were properly lubricated.

Roger Snell, a local piano player was singing “The Curse of and Aching Heart” slowly, out of tempo. Then he turned to the band and said,

“Alright, play it you mothas.”

It was live so no chance for a beep. In the late 50s, “Play it you mothas” was not something that you said on TV. I about fell off the chair when I heard Roger say that.

-Bob Ringwald
Bob Ringwald Solo Piano, duo, Trio, Quartet
Fulton Street Jazz Band
916/ 806-9551
Amateur (ham) Radio K 6 Y B V

It's only when you see a mosquito landing on your genitals that you realize that
there is always a way to solve problems without using violence.