[Dixielandjazz] this month in Madrid

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Nov 3 06:32:08 PST 2014

This month we appear at a jazz club called "Segundo Jazz" as part of the
Madrid Jazz Festival.  The MJF brings in a couple of foreign acts to play a
concert hall, not necessarily jazz at all, and then prompts the clubs that
usually have jazz anyway to have jazz!  So, we've got a weekend at this
place as part of the "Jazz Festival", for the same fee we would get anyway.
How 'bout feeling "used"?

Segundo Jazz, however, is a late nite (midnite to 3am) place we don't
normally choose to play at, mainly due to the late hours.  Segundo means
2nd., but it is also a Spanish name & is the name of the owner.  Segundo was
the doorman at the "Bourbon Street Jazz Club (later called Whiskey Jazz)
during our 25 year stay at that establishment (every Tues nite).  Segundo
then won bigtime two years in a row at the Spanish lottery, and opened
Segundo Jazz.  Not long after, the Bourbon/Whiskey burned down.

Another funny story there:  a week before the fire, I warned the owner that
the plugs on the stage were dangerous.  (You ever see stripped wires held
into a plug with tooth picks...and, that's 220V?)  Dunno if my warning
turned out to be a "suggestion", but that was the end of our gig there!

This month we also have 3 nites at our normal haunt, the Cafe Populart, and
one nite at a new restaurant that is trying two sets of music after dinner
(11pm to 1am) occassionally.  The boss heard us last month at the Populart &
asked if we would play.  Small stage & sound is supplied.

Our pianist complained he would have to take his amp & keyboard, but I
reminded him that I store both at my house, and put them in my car for him!
:>

You guys were going on about drummers recently, well, there's a story about
a spoiled pianist...........

Jim