[Dixielandjazz] Acker

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:48:19 PST 2014

On 3 November 2014 16:01, Gary Lawrence Murphy <garym at teledyn.com> wrote:

> Acker Bilk explains the waistcoats:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4858qdllxk#t=57

His explanation iw not much different from mine.  My main objection is that
"funny hats" and (especially in America) stripped suits made people
identify traditional jazz with them rather than music.
The video is most interesting, although there's little thant's new to me
(other than the Temperance Seven story, but it has never been a favourite
of mine).

At its worse, British "trad" sounded like banjo with instrumental
accompaniment.  It was not New Orleans or the California stye - it was a
style of its own, and that;s as it should be - try to imitate and create
something new!  This applies to the West Coast style (OKOM, not cool) as
well.  That's waht creativity means - not mere copying.
Cheers