[Dixielandjazz] Swinging - are rhythm sections needed?

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym at teledyn.com
Wed Mar 19 10:26:12 PDT 2014

in our situation with the Eighth Street Orchestra, we often don't know
who we will have at any given session and so the core family members
stay flexible to fill in gaps.  We find that we do quite nicely
without piano or guitar although that then constrains the drums to
just the basics. I think it was Thelonious Monk who said that you need
both melody and the bass line to render any tune, and I'd agree with
that, even if the bass has to be carried by a sax, the music benefits
from being grounded.  It was also Monk who said you don't need to be
the drummer to be keeping time, it is the responsibility of *every*
musician.  So given all that I'd say you can dispense with everyone
except the bass and the soloist, or as Bucky Fuller used to say,
"Unity is plural, at minimum two" :)

(notice, in Bach's solo flute works, how the flutist bounces between
the melody and the bass line ;) )

--
*Teledyn Addendum: teledyn blogspot ca*
*eso: **EighthStreetOrchestra blogspot ca*