[Dixielandjazz] Swinging - are rhythm sections needed?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 05:07:17 PDT 2014

No, don't take me wrong: I do not recommend immediate disposal of the
rhythm sections.  However, some musicians swing like hell by themselves.

I have just listened to my recordings from the "Duo Special" concert at the
2005 Breda Jazz FEstival, by just a soprano sax and a trumpet (or cornet),
and it took me a while to realize that there were just the two of them.
Not that it is unprecedented: I commented on it in the Mississippi Rag
after my first Breda Festival (1990), and, of course, Zoot Sims and Al Cohn
recorded an unaccompanied duet number with terriffic swing! I can see
lismates aking "what is this guy doing on this list!? (the way I feel when
I read references to the the "playing" of John Coltrane, for example).  I
have no good answer, except that after their "cool jazz" (a contradiction
in terms) period Zoot and Al saw the light and returned to playing hot,
like in their big band days.
Cheers