[Dixielandjazz] Hancock's NCJB (was "Test" on a lazy day.)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jun 3 03:28:13 PDT 2014

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
> it's very very good, sound wise, but I would advise your friends that it isn't enough to copy the notes of the original, you have to capture the *intention* -- to that end, and this isn't a complaint, it is just old guy curmudgeon advice, they should attend to the articulations and *modernize* them; what was 'hot' then is pretty common now.  Just my opinion of course, I still enjoyed their efforts very much ;)

Dear Gary,
I believe that trying to articulate and modernise that music would have destroyed the whole idea.
What amazed me was that, musically, it was a one-man-band effort. All Colin Hancock.
The best I have heard in my 68 years of real jazz.
A wonderful result, using Louis Armstrong's unheard Copyright lead sheet from the Library of Congress.
And memories of when I first heard the Claude Luter band's "Pimlico".
   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mnhIoqYhWk
I would love to hear the full story behind the making of that unique Hancock record.
Very kind regards,
Bill.