[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: where does Dixieland end?

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 26 12:57:30 PST 2014

Marek, you are right.
The ODJB did not really improvise, they allready played more or less memorised parts.
The King Oliver band had sketches allready. When Louis Armstrong came to New York, he handed  a little book with notated music to Don Redman.That is how the Dippermouth Blues / Sugar Foot Stomp connection was made.It definitly was not a transcription from a record, as people might think. Redman never did that, he actually usually made variations on and in stock arrangements, as has been proved in a very interesting book : The Uncrowned King of Swing: Fletcher Henderson and Big Band Jazz

Of course in solos musicians who were good at it improvised, but there really is a surprisingly high percentage of solos that are prepepared before they were recorded. Even Armstrong, Charlie Parker and Coleman Hawkins did this.They simply wanted to make good records I guess, and lowered the risk.
As Gunther Schuller put it : there is nothing wrong with a good solo!
I guess usually clarinet players had the most freedom in collective playing.
We are highly misled by a business practise. Black bands in the 1920's were supposed to sell a kind of illiterate, privitive image. They usually were not allowed to use notated music in live situations. That applies for the Ellington, Henderson and Oliver.But they used written arrangements, that were memorised. There is no doubt about that.
Kind regards,
Bert