[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: where does Dixieland end?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 11:52:47 PST 2014

Sorry about my previous, folks - no idea how it got sent in mid-sentence!!

Now I  hope to complete it before sending.

Hi Gary,
I very much doubt the "nothing but dixieland ensemble-improv" contention.
Jelly Roll Morton who, even if he did not invent jazz was definitely there
to rock the cradle required his musicians to "play those dots" he put on
paer, and his ensembles, even on the earliest accousic recordings, were
rather tightly arranged.  Actually, the Oliver records sound quite arranged
to me, even if those were "head" arrangements.  After all, that was long
before splicing, and a single mistake would ruin the record and recording
had to start anew.  Therefore, bands had to come to the studios prepared to
make a record in a single take, even if often more were made.  So perhaps
live there was a lot of improvising, but we cannot be sure.  Even the Hot
Fives and Seventh don't really sound like sponaneous improvisation.  I have
the feeling that this, too, was the invention of the critics.  People
couldn't make too many mistakes when they were paid!
Cheers