[Dixielandjazz] Question of Body and Soul

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Jan 16 13:13:31 PST 2014

According to musicologist/historian Philippe Baudoin, B&S was, in fact,
written in C. Yet, he has it in his famous chord book in Db. He lists
the recordings below, but doesn't note keys. Recordings with singers
aren't usually good references for keys as singers were invented to make
musician's lives hell. But, it would be (a very little bit) interesting
to know in what keys these records were made and if an artist recorded
B&S more than once, did he/she record in the same key each time?

I don't know when or why B&S started getting played in Db, but, to be
honest, I prefer the sound of Db to C. I have had to play B&S in Eb too
and I really don't like how it sounds. Like Stardust -- also written in
C -- it just sounds better (to me) in Db.

All the best, Gary

L. Armstrong - 30,47,49,56,57
B. Goodman - 35,45,62
A. Tatum - 37,44,53,56
Quintet HCF - 37
C. Berry - 38
C. Hawkins - 39,44,56,59
J. Dorsey - 39
B. Holiday - 40,46,56,57
E. Ellington - 40,58,61
E. Hines - 40
T. Wilson - 41,45
S. Grappelli - 41
N. Cole - 44
R. Eldridge - 44
C. Cole - 44
D. Byas - 46
J. Teagarden - 47,53
E. Garner - 49,51
B. Powell - 50
C. Parker - 50
O. Peterson - 51,54
J. Albany - 51
S. Getz - 52
L. Hampton - 54,55(w/Tatum & B. Rich),56
J. Raney - 54
M. Roach - 56
E. Fitzgerald - 57,62,65
S. Rollins - 58