[Dixielandjazz] Question of Body and Soul

Ken Gates kwg915 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 11:40:23 PST 2014

I have read that Louis Armstrong first recorded it.
This link  ---   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixNwG18WIQ8
is from 1930.  If my ear is correct, this version begins with the
A part in the key of Eb  --- then to C for the vocal.  I found a
1933 version with L.A. and his big band --also in Eb.  I found
a Django recording of 1937 or 8 also in Eb.

A Chu Berry and Roy Eldridge recording of 1938 ---seems to
begin in the key of C with the tenor sax and when Eldridge takes
 his solo -- I hear it as Db. Those with better ears than mine
may find that to be incorrect.

I'm wondering if the original key was Db--- or did that become the
"standard key" after the 1938 Chu Berry  or 1939 Coleman Hawkins
recordings.  This is about the A part --- the bridge key changes
are not the subject of this question.

Thanks for listening.

Ken Gates

"standard key" after the Chu Berry recording of 1938 or the Coleman
Hawkins definitive recording of 1939.