[Dixielandjazz] Body and Soul

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Thu Jan 16 12:52:36 PST 2014

Hi Ken et al,

I haven't checked out any of the records cited for keys and, in any event, the pitch on a recording may not be the pitch at which the musicians played and were recorded. However, I used to have a copy of the sheet music and it was written in C, although it would necessarily be shifted to other keys to suit singers' ranges. Quite when it moved to Db is unclear, but certainly ever since Hawkins' monumental recording that has been the standard key for instrumental performance.

Cheers,

Ken Mathieson.