[Dixielandjazz] Chris Barber in East Berlin 1965

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 13:42:59 PST 2014

Very nice indeed, especially as, so far !5 out of the 18:43) minutes, John
Slaughter is nowhere in sight!
As Dresden hosts one of the oldest European Dixieland festivals, I was
wondering about Barber's being one of the first jazz bands (A assume it
refers to western jazz bands) allowed in DDR, but I checked and found out
that the first festival took place in 1971 - six years after the Barber
performace.

Must have been quite a thrill for the East Germans to hear such a well-know
band, although, the iron courtain being what it was, they might not have
known how popular it was.

Cheers