[Dixielandjazz] Chris Barber in East Berlin 1965

Bert mister_bertje at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 5 14:46:25 PST 2014

Hello Marek,
What you think is not reality.
The Chris Barber band was very well known in East Germany, way before the Iron curtain went.
Somehow Chris or his management had good connections there and were allowed to play there a lot.Only problem was the payment, they had to spend the Ost marks over there, so usually they bought good instruments there and then sold them with a profit in the west.
We still feel that nowadays, so often people in the audience in Eastern Germany telling how exiting it had been the band way back then.
The band still has a booking agent there that sometimes hires it, the rumours are that he used to work for the secret police in the old day, but of course I don't know if that's actually true.
Kind regards,
Bert