[Dixielandjazz] LP or CD?

Paul Kurtz Jr phktrumpet at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 14:10:35 PST 2014

Marek, I’m blessed with a son who stays up with all kinds of technology for his Daddy. I was AMAZED one day recently when he showed me speakers the size of my hand that he could and did plug to his Iphone and got very good sound from it. They were $20 US from Target, a retail outlet and drug store.

My biggest worry regarding older music hasn’t been the sound quality because miniaturization is moving forward and it’s amazing the sound quality and depth on some of these small guys. Even on my computer where I’m typing this message, I have small speakers. My biggest worry was that sound engineers were fiddling too much with the old recordings. Even in this area, though, I think they’re getting it, leaving the ambiance that should be there, and not over-engineering echoes and all of that.

But again, Marek, the biggest thing to me and my change in thought is that the more we buy, the more they’ll produce in all media groups. Now that I have that concept, if I buy music in digital form, there’s actually more rather than less likelihood it will be produced in other media. Yes, we can continue our discussions on sound fidelity and what sounds best to us, but if we keep buying our market share grows greater and those who want to make money pay attention.
Paul Kurtz Jacksonville, FL